Friday, July 25, 2008

Life Abroad in U

Hey peeps! Just want to share my experience of the 1st few weeks of campus life in Universiti Teknologi Petronas(UTP) in Tronoh,Perak. On the 11th of July, me and Bui woke up early in the morning before the break of dawn just to catch a plane to Kuala Lumpur. The farewell was short as well as the 2 hour flight on MAS airlines was exceptionally good in service. My dad and Bui's parents were included in the flight plan too. I had chicken omelette for the onboard breakfast. Obviously the chicken was chicken franks in disguise; but a good meal for the journey since we didn't eat anything earlier before we left Miri. Bui complained about the chicken noodles he was served as it was too salty or so he said.

Upon the arrival of our flight onto the vast space of the KLIA airfield(my ears hurt as we were descending due to change of pressure, arghhh), we were taken aback by the huge scales of international planes and the airport walk-around was a long one. After collecting our luggages, we headed for the bus terminal just below the airport. We purchased tickets to Ipoh and waited. And waited. Waited some more until a bus called Star Shuttle arrived. So we boarded it and 'tried' to enjoy the ride. By 'tried', I mean the bus driver so 'sensible' enough played a video to accompany our boredom during the journey which was appealing in a sense. It was a video made by a thailand producer i think but english was the main medium. Mostly the video used english for swearing and I mean swearing once every 2 or 3 seconds. Most said word should be the F word accompanied by MF - if u get what i mean..I tried to sleep during then.

We arrived at Ipoh town after 3 hours of compilation of the swearing symphony. I must say Ipoh is huge with entangled and wide roads which have more than 3 ways which can lead to the same place. Quite useful in midnight racing right? xD The buildings show their age well too. We came to stay in a small hotel somewhere in Memory Lane in Ipoh called Grandview Hotel(or is it Grandville? :O) We were vamished after the long travel hours and went out to try some of Ipoh's dishes. Nice! I tried a Char Kueh Tiaw wif creamy eggs fried canto style wif Ipoh's trademark. Majority here speaks cantonese and I can't understand a word..

We explored abit during the noon as well as shopping for provisions and required items to survive in hostels. I bought some Jacob's cream crackers too. I haven't eaten them for quite a long time already but when I took a crunch once again, I found myself attached to it and find it hard to stop xD A lot of old buildings still stood down Memory Lane. At night, we just ate at a nearby coffee shop. They have many styles of Char Kueh Tiaw with creamy egg. We had to hit the hay early because registration day was the next day at 8 in the morning. Well, the time zone in here is different although it was made the same. In Sarawak, 7pm means the sun is gone and the stars are up with the moon is bright. But in here, 8.30pm only then shows the lyrics.

The morning was definitely cold due to the room's air-conditioning and this made showering a difficult task of courage. After we packed up all our belongings, we headed downstairs to await our taxis. The trip to UTP campus took approximately 1 hour. When we entered, I was awe strucked at the huge land provided- little did we know, the largeness of the land proivided hardships for us walkers and non-vehicle users later. To my surprise, we were the earliest to arrive. So we waited for quite some time until the registration counters open. We took walks around the area abit, especially the Chansellor Complex. It is a landmark of UTP to be proud of which holds the Information Resource Centre(IRC), the most advanced library perhaps in Southeast Asia(correct me if I'm wrong)

Well I have to end here for the time being. Gots lots to tell but due to my increase in appetite for food that is growing while I'm typing out this piece, I'll have to continue my experience some other time. All in all, hope you guys enjoy reading this part of my life abroad with Bui :D

No comments: