Saturday, January 31, 2009

Back there and guess what?

Heck yea, we're back in uni ol' days. Woke up at 4 in the morning to catch a flight at 6.20am by MAS Airlines. We boarded the plane at 6 and calculated we'd be in KL by 8.30am. Unexpectedly, we never left ground until 2 hours later. So that just delayed the day's plans by 2hours- Hoorah, staying aboard a flightless plane for 2 hours, what a thrilling experience, it's too much excitement to take! :D
So anyway, the taxi man I called for booking earlier the day before, Mr.Law, told us his story when we entered his cab. He woke up at 4am and slowly drove his way from Ipoh to KL and reached at about 8am. So he thought "I'm here early so I guess I can rest abit" but lil' did he know that when he received my sms stating "Uncle, my flight has been delayed for about 2hours". That's when he groaned and grabbed a newspaper to spend some time over it until 10.30am. So the moral of the story - delays mess up big time the schedules of many peeps' lives doesn't it? HMM?
The journey back to UTP was a long 3hour and hot one (the cab is an antique Mercedes Benz so the air-conditioning was utterly poor t.t) Luckily, we stopped by a small restaurant to grab quick refreshments since lunchtime came over at 1 o'clock. It wasn't long until we reached UTP although Mr.Law used small kampung side roads instead of using main highways xD We got there at around 2pm or so, then we settled our hostel arrangements.
We were supposed to do some cleaning but it seemed most of the major parts were done before we arrived - the lights, fans, tables, corners. Even the old rotting beds were replaced with new plastic wrapped ones. Guess that saved us alot of fuss. They even fixed my locker's lock so now I can lock it with a padlock, the only prob is that I didn't have one - yet.

So we just did some minor polishing and wiping. While I was changing water for my pail, I came across a notice stating - Age-Zine -Cartoonists(with a picture of a poorly drawn dino) Reading the further details, I discovered that they it was an audition to find cartoonists for a magazine and it's going on that night at 8.30pm. After some thought, I thought I should give it a go!
I took a quick nap then before i took a bath and me dinner. Then after grabbing my weapons - stationery stuffs* - I headed out to the venue and sat there..sat...sat..
There weren't many chinese (in fact I think I was the only one xD) the tables and seats were limited so I was lucky I came early (I think). We were given time for warm-ups before the briefing but hey I don't need any. Waseh xD I din't bring any scraps of paper to practice on so I just scrolled through my K770i to delete old messages - loser.
So after 10 minutes or so, the host briefed us in Malay language. The theme is 'alam sekitar & usahawan' but then he explained that it doesn't really matter but more to open theme. He said that the piece can be part of a comic page or a poster cover for it. He also added that those who will be picked for the cartoonists will get to draw a 6 page comic and get it published in a Mag-I-Don't-Know.
Rules - 2 sheets of paper - 1 for sketch, 1 for the real deal. Time limit - 1hour with abit of extra time unknown. No references. No copying - as if..

So I chose 4 characters to star in the cover. They are more to explorer-warrior themes in the dress code. As for the background I chose a mythical woo ruins.. (not much to add) The characters include - 1 rich elf lady, 1 male swordsman, 1 tough guy, 1 asian girl explorer :D
I managed to rush through everything in about 1hr and 15mins time. Not to perfection though xD Saw some of the other's works when I submitted mine. Most I saw were chibis type of drawing. Some used markers, pens and even draw nice smooth round eyes. Clean! Some included bubble chats and bordering frames - I didn't t.t
And there you guys have it, abit of this! Ciaos and Happy New Year!
PS: Edited witf PS CS3 to make it lighter and clearer to see.

4 comments:

Beelzenef said...

omg you're the guy who sat in front of me during the cartoonist hunt! :D heyya

iOxygen said...

Woah what de? Then u were the girl in front of me? how did u find this blog? xD hey hey

Beelzenef said...

i wanted to know what age-zine is so i googled. that's how i got here mufufu ^^v your drawing cun okayh.

iOxygen said...

wa lol nvr thought of tat. haha urs quite neat n clean. mine's kinda messy @@